Should you buy a petrol or diesel engine? We weigh up the differences so you can make an informed choice.
- Generally more fuel efficient so you can drive longer on a tank of petrol
- Produce more power than petrol engines at low speeds
- Great for towing
- Can cost more upfront for the technology
- Fuel is generally cheaper
So, petrol or diesel?
- Better revs at high speed and faster acceleration
- Generally cheaper up front
There is no definitive answer as the type of driving you will do should dictate the type of engine you want. If you’re planning on long trips and plan to be regularly towing a boat or caravan then diesel is your best option, while if you want a sports car and high-revs, petrol is your best bet.